Frekote® Aqualine® R-220™
A Semi-Permanent Release Agent for Demanding Rubber-Molding Applications Frekote® Aqualine® R-220™ offers excellent release and slip properties and is recommended for the most demanding rubber molding applications, such as EPDM rubber. When properly applied to a preheated surface, this water-based product chemically bonds to the mold surface to form a thin, inert, thermally stable release coating.
Features and Benefits
• Multiple release technology
• High temperature application
• Fast curing
• Low VOC (< 3 g/L)
• Low mold build-up – reliability
• Reduced reject rates
• Improved storage stability, 12 months from Date of Manufacture at 77°F
• Freeze / thaw stable
Operation and Application:
• We strongly suggest that molds be thoroughly clean and dry prior to application of the release agent. Henkel offers Frekote® PMC™ and Frekote® 915WB™ as ideal mold cleaners for this application. Heavy mold build-up could require abrasion (sand or glass beadings) followed by a cleaner washing. This will remove all types of build-up or previous release contamination.
• Frekote® Aqualine® R-220™ is used as received and is normally spray-applied to hot mold surfaces ranging in temperatures between 140°F (60°C) and 400°F (204°C).
• For best results, use a non-atomizing spray rate of 2 to 3 fl. oz./minute for warm molds at temperatures below 300°F (149°C) and 4 to 5 fl. oz./minute for hot mold temperatures above 300°F.
• Four applications are recommended for warm mold temperatures, while six applications are recommended for hot molds. Allow release agent to dry between applications and fully cure prior to use. At 300°F, Frekote® Aqualine® R-220™ dries instantly and requires less than four minutes to fully cure.
Touch-up coats should only be applied to areas where poorer release is noticed. This will reduce the possibility of release agent or polymer build-up. The frequency of touch-up will depend on the polymer type, mold configuration, and abrasion parameters.
Request a quote today or call us at 1-800-375-0605 to place an order.